Wednesday 26 December 2012

PPL Lesson 8: Ex 12 & 13 Again! (Pt 2)

Feeling ever so confident the next hour and a half we went for a trip out of Doncaster airspace. First popping over to the Hospital to wave at Steve (still not been let out at that point but at the time of writing this has made an awesome recovery and just spent a great Christmas day out and about).

So Matt decides that we are to go onto Radar and call for a transition across to Gamston. Now this whole transition thing I haven't done or read about before and it was being right back to square one on the radio, having to make what seemed like a huge sentence and call to radar, to this day I still can't remember how the conversation between me and Doncaster radar was. I do however remember she sounded quite hot, well as far as you can tell over a radio! I digress....

We carried on across fields, over villages and down to Gamston airfield so I could practise short field circuits. How hard can they be, it's all the same isn't it? Forgetting one minor detail.... it's quarter the size of Doncaster's runway which means the circuits are much shorter, plus the crosswind was now a tailwind on the downwind leg. It's amazing what you learn from the different types of airfield and towers, something which I will touch on in the next post so as to answer some questions I had on email.

All in all 15 take-offs and landings and one very tired me! I think circuits are well and truly etched into my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment