Thursday 27 December 2012

PPL - where and how to learn?

I thought I would write a quick post on my thoughts and own opinions of the places to learn etc as I have had a few emails from people asking about it.

Aircraft:
I learn in a PA28, it's a 4 seater touring aircraft and the sole reason I learn in that is because we had a taster lesson in it and then seeing the difference between the smaller C150 and the PA28 I figured wanted more room inside, plus I was told it's nicer to fly. Which to be completely honest after the hour in a 150 I have to agree with, the PA28 gets thrown around less but is also less responsive. Each to their own though, it is only my own personal preference. I know for a fact Steve would have loved the C150. Not my cup of tea though.

Airfield / School:
I learn at Doncaster Sheffield Flying School which is based at EGCN (Robin Hood Airport) and has a two mile (or there about) runway, class D airspace and a fantastic tower service. I was asked the question about landing fees as I pay around £5 per lesson, however now I have flown into airstrips with less service and a lesser airspace I would hate to be the other way around. Don't get me wrong, if you are going to do a lot of flying in smaller airfields then that's great, but there are things you do miss out on.

When you have the traffic that Doncaster has you end up with passenger jets stacked up for departure with you, having to take into account wake disturbance as they take off etc. The radio calls are less for a smaller airfield, even to the point that some you end up talking to yourself when they have no service at certain times. I'm not sure how confident I would be learning solely in a small airfield and then coming into Class D with full service.

No comments:

Post a Comment