Wednesday 17 October 2012

3 Day water fast - Day 3

Well, its the last day and I cannot remember much about the day. I started off walking Frank at 7am this morning for an hour and did some work until 12pm, at which point the phone and emails went mental. The next thing I know is it's half past five and the food delivery is due any-time now. I guess that will be the hardest thing of the day, putting it all away.

As I have said in the last post, the more you fast, the easier it gets. The third day of my first fast was horrid from memory and so many times through the day I thought to myself "it's OK if I have a quick snack, I'll be eating tomorrow anyhow" but somehow managed to muster up the willpower to make it through.

I was asked today about the detox, whether I felt any benefit. As I mentioned in the page on fasting, there are so many sites on the internet full of information. You will find people doing 1 to 40 day water fasts, brown rice fasts, fruit fasts, dry fasts etc and many claims to helping with weight loss, curing illness etc. My personal take on the benefits are as follows:

Weight loss:
Fasting is a bit extreme to do for weight loss in my opinion, taking this week for example over the three days so far I have lost 10lbs. Great if you want to loose it but a bit harsh in my eyes.
There are many that say loosing weight this way means you will only put it back on, what they forget to say is "if you carry on eating trash when you finish your fast". For each water fast I tend to loose 3lb per day and then put up to 3lbs back on when breaking the fast, however I don't carry on putting on weight after this, even for long periods of time.

Energy:
some people have differing ways they are affected by the lack of food and therefore energy, personally I find myself more focused and clear on what I do. Although I get cold pretty quickly and do get a little light headed sometimes.

Detox:
Fantastic benefit of which I was a huge sceptic when reading about healing powers of fasts. Don't get me wrong, the detox effects can be a little painful, my legs ached the first time and I do ache all over a little each time since. The toxins come out in many ways sometimes making your sweat smell more than normal, breath starts to smell. Most of all though I personally buy into the fact that your body goes into a repair cycle, the reason being is that I suffered from Urticaria (Hives) for many years which I controlled using piriton. I started with one a day and ended up taking three once-a-day tablets each day. Each trip to the doctors would be the same story about cutting food out from my diet and no other help, but even Frank would break me out into hives. However, after a couple of fasts over a 4 month period (4 day water followed by 10 day water) I stopped taking tablets altogether.

I still eat the same food, red meat, chicken, dairy, curries, pizzas, Chinese and Guinness. Although not in the same day! So the theory of it being food cut out of my diet is hogwash.

Having said all that, these are my experiences and they may not be the same for all.

Looking forward to tomorrow's breakfast, which will be some fruit and yoghurt (usually muesli) and finally tasting something other than water and lemon.

Hope this sheds some light on the topic for you all, have an awesome time ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment